Mold, OH My!
Mold in the Bathroom
It's no surprise that bathrooms are the most moist and humid room in the house, because of this bathrooms are an environment that allow mold to thrive. When the surfaces in a bathroom are not cleaned or dried regularly, mildew begins to form. If it isn’t removed, it can develop into mold.
Signs of Mold Growth
Below are a few signs you might notice if you have mold growing in your bathroom.
The most obvious one—visible mold. Mold usually begins growing underneath surfaces. By the time you can see it, you probably have a severe problem.
You might notice a musty, earthy smell, in some cases, you may be able to smell mold and mildew before you can see it
- If you see ants in your bathroom, this may be a sign mold is growing beneath your floor tiles and decomposing your floorboards.
Common causes of Mold
- Excess moisture caused by lack of ventilation.
- Leaky pipes, sinks, or toilets.
- Materials such as rugs, paper products, wood, wallpaper, grout, drywall, and fabric which hold moisture.
How to Prevent Mold Growth
- Use your bathroom fan when you shower or bathe, and leave it on for 30 minutes after you are done.
- Household humidity levels need to stay below 50%; an air conditioner or dehumidifier can help.
- Use a mildew-resistant shower curtain, and wash or replace it frequently.
- Wash your bathroom rugs frequently.
How to Treat Mold
- Remove & replace any caulking or sealant that has mold growing on it.
- Clean your bathroom with mold-killing products, which can be bought at your local hardware store.
- Keep windows and doors open while cleaning to provide fresh air and help dry out the mold.
If you have notice you have a problem area 10 square feet or larger, or you see mold creeping into walls, insulation or under linoleum, you need a professional. These are signs of a much larger infestation and walls may need to be tore out. Tearing out walls can cause mold spores to be released into the rest of the house and ventilation system creating an even bigger problem.
If you have any concerns about mold growth any where in your home give us a call at SERVPRO® of Bullitt & N. Nelson Counties. One of our trained and skilled remediation technicians will come out and help you through then entire process. We are "Always here to help."®