What to do when you have an OVEN FIRE
Fires in a home most commonly happen in the kitchen. While frightening, an oven fire can usually be contained and prevented.
What to do
- LEAVE THE OVEN DOOR CLOSED! You do NOT want to feed it any oxygen.
- TURN OFF THE OVEN and allow the fire to burn out on its own. Move all appliances away from the oven.
- If it does not go out on its own, leave the house and call 911.
- If the fire does go out, carefully open the oven door (it will be smoky) and Open all the windows.
Quick Safety Tip:
- Don’t store things on top of, in, or around your oven.
Keep flammable things like dish towels, paper bags, or cereal boxes, away from your stove. Don’t use your oven as ‘extra storage’ for flammable things like paper or plastic bags, plastic containers, or dish towels. Even if you don’t turn the oven on, the pilot light can ignite objects inside.
- Be mindful of how you prep and cook your food.
Over-filling a baking pan with batter may overflow into the bottom of the oven and catch fire. Use an oversized pan under your baking dish to catch the overflow.
When cooking fatty foods like goose, duck, steak, and bacon, the grease will splatter and spark a fire. Do not leave your food unattended. Drain the grease periodically to prevent a fire.
If you're ever faced with a kitchen damaged by any type of fire and you’re in the Bullitt county or northern Nelson county area, we’re here for you. When you need expert help with fire damage, you can depend on SERVPRO. Our teams are standing by 24/7 with industry-certified fire and smoke cleanup services.