Electrical Fires - Common Causes
According to the U.S Fire Administration there are approximately 24,000 electrical fires per year.
- 83% of electrical fires most often happen in One- and Two- family homes.
- 12% of these fires occur in January due to the increase of heating appliances and lights.
- 15% of residential fires happen in the bedroom.
- 13% of residential fires happen in attics or vacant crawl spaces
COMMON CAUSES OF ELECTRICAL FIRES:
- Faulty outlets and appliances. Never use an appliance with a worn or frayed cord, which can send heat onto combustible surfaces like floors, curtains, and rugs that can start a fire.
- Light fixtures. Always check the maximum recommended bulb wattage on any lighting fixture or lamp and never go over the recommended amount.
- Extension cords. Only use extension cords as a temporary measure, NEVER plug an appliance into an extension cord. If you do not have the appropriate type of outlets for your appliances, hire an electrician to install new ones.
- Space heaters. These types of heaters are portable, many times people put them too close to combustible surfaces such as curtains, beds, clothing, chairs, couches and rugs.
- Wiring. If a home is over 35 years old, it may not have the wiring capacity to handle the increased amounts of electrical appliances in today’s average home, such as computers, wide-screen televisions, video and gaming players, microwaves and air conditioners.
NEVER use an appliance with a worn or frayed cord, which can send heat onto combustible surfaces like floors, curtains, and rugs that can start a fire.
SERVPRO - We are here for you 24/7
"Like it never even happened."